Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A Bubble Bath and a Sauternes

2002 Doisy-Vedrines
$13.99
Shane’s Notes


Jen and I tasted this Sauternes in a bubble bath (an activity I highly recommend) so I have to admit that I was a bit distracted but here are my impressions. The Vedrines has the typical, botrytized sweetness and its texture is a bit less than unctuous. The flavors include apricot and pear with a touch of cream brulee. There is also a slight grapey flavor which is a definite flaw. The beginning of the finish has a bit of an alcoholic heat but the heat quickly fades into a long, sweet finish. The Vedrines is pleasant to drink but not very complex and I only give it a mild recommendation. We have now tasted several Sauternes and none of them has come close to matching the complexity of Nickel and Nickel’s botrytized Dolce (although we have not yet tasted the quasi-mythical Chateau D’Yquem).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home