Friday, December 23, 2005

Won't you take me to.... Funky TOWN!

1997 Christian Clerget "Les Charmes"
Chambolle-Musigny, Premier Cru
Burgundy
$51.99
Jen’s Notes

This was our first pinot with bottle age and... wow. The color was red, tinged with copper at the meniscus. The nose boasted strawberry jam with a hint of soy sauce-like funkiness.

The soy sauce was initially echoed on the palate but faded as the wine opened up. This Burgundy was quite full-bodied with well-balanced acidity. The palate was mostly herbal; the fruit tended to be more of a tangy, orange marmalade-like flavor than strawberries (which the nose suggested and is quite common in Pinots).

Although the wine was good, I can't say that I "enjoyed" it in the way we usually enjoy our wines. It required a bit more of us as drinkers. But I was pleased to have the opportunity to drink a well-aged Burgundy, and I would definitely explore this area a bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home