Monday, August 07, 2006

Montrachet

2004 Puligny Montrachet
Les Pucelles, Premiere Cru, Domaine Marc Jomain
$54.99
Shane’s Notes
Normally, Jen would write this review because she’s the Chardonnay person in our relationship. However, she was working on our Napa trip write-up so I took this one. It’s quite a responsibility – our first Montrachet, one of the world’s putative great wines.

The aroma is creamy with tart apple. My initial reaction on tasting this one was that we did not do it justice by drinking it so young. This is a massive wine and I can only imagine how long it should be aged to tame it – my guess is ten to fifteen years. The rich palate is slightly creamy and the texture is heavy for a Chardonnay. The palate shows peach and cinnamon apple. The finish is fairly long. Surprisingly, neither Jen nor I detected any minerality.

It is extremely well made and Jen loved it. I have to admit that I wasn’t too thrilled with the style. Years ago, I preferred butter bomb Chardonnays but as my tastes have changed, I prefer Chardonnays so racy that I think even this Montrachet was a bit too soft for me. I like high acidity and massive, tangy flavors. I’m kind of relieved that I don’t like this style because Montrachet is expensive and hard to find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home