Thursday, December 06, 2007

An Amazing Discovery

2006 Moscato d’Asti by Ceretto
$13.99, 2006 Saracco Moscato d’Asti
Shane’s Notes

Jen and I have tried a wide variety of wines so it always surprises me when we discover a new type of wine that is absolute amazing. I had been perusing my Italian wine book by Kramer and came upon the chapter on Moscato d’Asti. I was intrigued so I bought a bottle at K&L. We stored the bottle in our wine fridge and forgot about it. Then, we had dinner at El Fornaio prior to the opera (Werther by Massenet – another great performance by the San Jose Opera even if the opera itself left a little to be desired). I noticed a 2006 Moscato d’Asti by Ceretto on the menu. I ordered a glass as an aperitif and couldn’t believe how tasty it was. It was sweet, frizzy and showed moderate complexity – apricot and pears with a slightly syrupy texture. It reminded me a Mosel Auslese Riesling. I told Jen how great it was so she ordered a glass after dinner. She agreed with me and we couldn’t wait to try the Moscato d’Asti resting in our wine fridge.

A few days later, we drank our 2006 Saracco Moscato d’Asti. The palate showed very bright flavors of papaya and lemon curd. It was honeyed, minerally and frizzy. Jen said the finish showed “lingering fruity succulence.” It was simple but absolutely delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home