Thursday, July 13, 2006

Barbecue and Bordeaux

1996 Pagodes de Cos d’Estournel
St. Estephe
$29.99
Shane’s Notes

We finally decided to buy a barbecue. Due to regulations at our apartment complex, we had to go with a gas barbecue. I put it together on Sunday and had to run back to the hardware store to buy the recommended 14.1 oz propane tank instead of the 16 oz tank we purchased with the barbecue. Who knew that a 14.1 oz propane tank even existed? Anyway, to break in the barbecue, we picked up some New York steaks from Lunardis and a 1996 Clos Pagodes, the second label of Cos- d’Esternoul. I was so concerned that I was going to overcook our New Yorks that I think I checked them about every 30 seconds. When I finally took them off the grill, they were perfect even if they had lost a bit of juice from my frequent slicings.

The wine went spectacularly well with the steaks. It was sweet up front and the mid palate was floral, tangy and had a light, dark berry flavor. The wine was a bit funky and had excellent tannins, astringency and a spicy finish. It was very flavorful for a Bordeaux with good concentration. Why don’t we see more “bargain” Bordeaux like this on restaurant menus? Too often, we see either aged first growths costing the price of a gold bar or new Bordeaux that are much too young to drink. We highly recommend this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home