Monday, January 29, 2007

Aye Charamba Redux

2004 Aveleda Charamba
$4.99
Shane’s Notes

Our regular readers know that I loved the 2002 Aveleda Charamba. I easily drank over a case of it. So, when I saw the 2004 in CostPlus, I eagerly bought a bottle and drank it that night. I was stunned when I tasted it: the 2004 is much better than the 2002. It has better structure and balance with extremely smooth tannins. It has a nice velvety texture, and the palate shows the same red fruit/perfumey flavors of the 2002. The finish is medium length. I immediately went back and bought a case. It is one of the best under $10 wines I’ve ever tasted. I’ve listed the stats on the wine below.

Producer: Quinta da Aveleda
Region: Douro D.O.C.Grape Varieties: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz and Tinta Barroca
Soil: Schistous
Vinification: It is vinified by the "classic" method for red wines. It is aged in Portuguese oak barrels for 6 to 9 months.
Alcohol Vol.: 12% Total Acidity (tartaric acid): 6,0 g/l
Residual Sugar: < 2.0g/l
Conservation: 6 to 8 years.
Recommended Serving Temperature: 18-20ºC

(http://www.aveleda.pt/html_i/prod_6.html)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home